PD_Packaging Digest

Packaging Digest, Fall 2015

Issue link: http://dc.cn.ubm-us.com/i/586152

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 29 of 39

30 BEST PRACTICES // FALL 2015 www.PackagingDigest.com 6HDOV7\YHN SRXFKHVDW XSWRIHHWSHUPLQXWH 9HUWLFDO&RQYH\RUL]HG0RGHO USDA Approved Rotary Band Sealer shown with lower support conveyor. Models available with bag top trimmer. +RUL]RQWDO&RQYH\RUL]HG0RGHO USDA Approved Rotary Band Sealer includes bag top trimmer and vacuum scrap removal. Superior performance and KLJKVSHHGSURGXFWLRQIRU³OD\-IODW´SDFNDJHV 9DOLGDWDEOH7DEOHWRS0RGHO Medical Pouch Sealer with verification ports for process validation of pressure, speed, and temperature. For light- weight products and smaller pouches. February 9-11, 2016 Anaheim, CA Visit us at WEST PACK Booth 5417 Anaheim Convention Center or thinking of using a QR code than say yes (20%). T e current date coding system might not be the best, but a better alternative has yet to be found. In both cases, the 30%-ish of packaging professionals saying "Don't know" might be waiting to see what the other 70% of their peers decide— or what consumers or regulators demand. future changes and challenges An increased use of technology isn't the only possibility/probability for the future of date coding. When asked "In the next 3 to 5 years, what changes and/or challenges do you see for date coding foods and beverages and why?" several people also cited the need for standards, as well as the fear of government intervention. But others were thinking beyond the obvious: "I think date codes will evolve into letting the consumer know if the product is safe to eat, not just if it's at peak freshness." "Coding is necessary for the consumer but the main problem is correct handling of food products." "Traceability is the main thing for companies to keep track of product. On the consumer level, knowing the shelf life is important so the consumer can make the right choice to consume. Perhaps adding more information to codes in the future." "When an R&D department comes up with a shelf life, it is usually a conservative estimation of the actual length that the product is edible. If we shorten shelf life, good food gets thrown out. If we lengthen it, some products taste old or stale, even if they are edible. We need to educate consumers on their buying habits and start selling products with long shelf lives in bulk and short shelf lives in single packs. T is way the consumer won't be buying a dozen of something they only need three of. T ings with the shortest shelf life get wasted most often." Do you plan on changing the coding technology you're using now anytime in the next year? Source: 2015 Spring Packaging Digest online poll Yes 16% Don't know 23% No 61% Which coding technology are you using to add date codes to your package(s)? Source: 2015 Spring Packaging Digest online poll 0% 8% 10% 16% 28% 37% 63% 10% 20% 30% 40% 50% 60% 70% Ink jet Print-and-apply labeling Laser Thermal/thermal transfer Embossing Other (specigy) Which coding equipment technology are you thinking of switching to? Source: 2015 Spring Packaging Digest online poll 0% 7% 10% 40% 10% 20% 30% 40% Ink jet Laser Thermal/thermal transfer Print-and-apply labeling Embossing Other (please specigy) 20% 33% 37% Are you using/considering using smart sensors/labels that indicate when a product has gone bad and should not be consumed? Source: 2015 Spring Packaging Digest online poll 0% 8% 1% 20% 40% 60% 80% 100% No DonÕt Know Yes 6% 29% 63% 93% Using Considering using

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of PD_Packaging Digest - Packaging Digest, Fall 2015